ZocdocAnswersWhy are my neck veins so pronounced?

Question

Why are my neck veins so pronounced?

The vein in my neck right above my clavicle on the right side is very visible and bluish. The one on the left is less visible, but still pronounced. I just started noticing this a couple of months ago. I'm a 25 year old female, about 135 lbs, no known health issues. There is no pulsing in the vein. Blood pressure is always fine at the doctor - most recently checked about a month ago when I had a sinus infection and it came up 120/80. I don't have pain in my neck, and I haven't noticed any shortness of breath (I'm a runner and have been able to continue running) or chest pain. Any idea why this may be happening?

Answer

It sounds as if you are describing some thin skin. My guess is that you may have fair skin in general, and perhaps are on the pale end of the spectrum naturally. Their is Fitzpatrick grading scale that can be used to describe your skin color, and I would guess that you are on the scale as a 1 or 2. If you are quite fair, then it is possible that this is just a normal variant. This is especially true if you are fit and have little body fat to help hide your blood vessels. As for why one side is more prominent than the other, it is hard to say exactly what would do that. There are certainly medical conditions that could lead to this, which is why you should discuss it with your doctor, but there are also common explanations as well. Additionally, I would ask that you discuss with your doctor whether or not this is a recent change or if the problem has been there all of your life, as this may affect what further testing he or she does. Please speak with your doctor about your concern so that he or she can complete an examination and either reassure you or complete further testing.