Why am I experiencing severe belching and bloating?

I have been experiencing constant belching from morning until evening for the past month. This belching is often accompanied by a bloating feeling that feels localized in my upper-left abdominal area. I have tried everything from changing my diet, taking antacids, taking gas relievers, and none of them help. It seems that it does not matter what food I eat, as a few minutes after eating the belching will start and not stop for a few hours. Whenever I touch the region of bloating on my upper-left abdominal area, it feels tense and sometimes even produces a "bubbling" feeling. Often times the gas feels stuck behind my breastbone and can even get to the point of being painful before finally being released in a massive belch. I know this is not normal, any help would be much appreciated!
Belching and bloating are common and uncomfortable symptoms, but unfortunately they are nonspecific (meaning that they are not associated with a specific medical diagnosis) and it can be quite difficult to diagnose the underlying cause. That is why I suggest you see a gastroenterologist for an evaluation. It sounds like you have taken good first steps, such as trying dietary changes, antacids, and gas tablets. Belching and bloating by themselves are not suggestive of any one medical problem, but I will list some other possible associated symptoms and the disorders they could suggest. If your symptoms are associated with regurgitation of undigested food, this could be suggestive of an abnormal out-pouching of the esophagus (the food tube) called a diverticulum. If you also experience difficulty swallowing or pain with swallowing, this may be symptomatic of a narrowing in the esophagus or a disorder affecting the movement of the esophagus. If you are experiencing vomiting of partially digested food, this could be a sign of a problem with the emptying of the stomach such as gastroparesis or gastric outlet obstruction. If you have had previous abdominal surgery and your symptoms are associated with vomiting of digested food or liquid, this could be a sign that you have an incomplete blockage of the intestines called a partial bowel obstruction. If your symptoms are associated with frequent diarrhea, it could be a sign that you are lactose intolerant or have an allergy to wheat gluten called Celiac Disease (with is almost always also associated with weight loss), but it would be unusual for either of these problems to have a sudden onset. Finally, if your symptoms are associated with alternating diarrhea and constipation, this could a sign that you have irritable bowel syndrome. All of these disorders require examination and special testing by a physician to diagnose. If you continue to experience these symptoms, I recommend that you make an appointment to see a gastroenterologist for a complete evaluation.

Nearby Gastroenterologists

Other Gastroenterologists