ZocdocAnswersWhat could be a pea size bump on the side of my face?

Question

What could be a pea size bump on the side of my face?

It seems hard an is about 1/2 inch away from my ear. What could this be?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have a concerning bump on your face. These sort of things are always concerning on one level or another, and require making an effort to be evaluated by a doctor despite the lack of time or resources that are often present. The most important thing, however, is that any lump or bump that is somewhere that it shouldn't be needs to be evaluated. If you have had a pea size bump on the side of your face, or any where else, please see a doctor to determine what the next step may be. The reason for this cautious approach is that bumps need to be assumed to be something serious until you have a great reason to know that it is not. This often requires some sort of sampling to be able to determine, but in other cases simply looking at the bump and speaking about your past medical history is sufficient. In addition to the bad things that this could potentially be, there are many other possibilities. One of the more common causes of this sort of thing is a small cyst that can form under the skin. Please speak with your doctor for more information and treatment.