Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have Kallmann syndrome?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have Kallmann syndrome?


i am 16 i havent had my period or grown breast i do have pubic hair, and i cant smell anything for as far back as i can remember


This is an important question to discuss with your primary care physician or endocrinologist. Kallmann syndrome is a part of a group of conditions that are classified under the term hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. The major characteristics of Kallmann syndrome are the failure to start or go through puberty and a highly diminished (hyposmia) or completely absent (anosmia) sense of smell. Affected females usually do not begin menstruating at puberty and have little or no breast development. These are the symptoms that present in your condition. However, symptoms do vary among affected patients. Kallmann syndrome also features additional signs and symptoms that include a failure of one kidney to develop, a cleft lip with or without a cleft palate, abnormal eye movements, hearing loss, abnormalities of tooth development, and almost invariably infertility, etc. Please seek help from your doctor soon. The major challenge in the diagnosis of Kallmann syndrome is the ability to distinguish between this condition, other forms of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and another cause for pubertal delay. This makes it essential for a patient to get a full endocrine work-up to measure the levels of the other pituitary hormones to check that the pituitary gland is working properly. Once a diagnosis of Kallmann syndrome is confirmed, the treatment of affected patients is fairly straight-forward. In most cases, hormone replacement therapy to ensure that the level of estrogen and progesterone is at the normal physiological level for your age is able to reverse the delayed puberty and hypogonadism. After hormone replacement therapy, the next step is fertility treatments. Patients with Kallmann syndrome cope better on the whole when they are diagnosed before the age of 16 and have prompt treatment. I recommend visiting a primary care physician or endocrinologist soon to help you with a diagnosis and management of your condition.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.