ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have frequent urination and stomach cramps?

Question

Why do I have frequent urination and stomach cramps?

About two days now I have been passing water alot and had severe stmach cramps the first day. Since then since I suspected it to be a UTI I have been drinking lots of water and taking cranberry capsules so for the most part I am back to normal

Answer

When you have an urgent need to urinate frequently, even right after the bladder has been emptied, it sounds like the common occurrence of urinary tract infection. Its symptom is accompanied by a pain or burning during urination and discomfort in the abdomen. Your symptoms sound like a UTI. If you have recurrent frequent urination, a visit with a primary care physician is next step. Your doctor may test your urine (urinalysis) with a microscopy to look for bacteria, white blood cells, and different sediments and "casts" that can indicate whether or not you have any kidney problems. Kidney disease can cause frequent urination when the kidneys fail to concentrate the urine and consequently sends a bigger volume of fluid to the bladder. Frequent urination is also often an early symptom of type 1 and 2 diabetes which can trigger the production of extra urine to flush out sugar from the body. It can also be a symptom of interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder wall) which is accompanied by pain in the bladder and pelvic area. Aside from UTI, frequent urination could signal more serious medical problems that require medical attention, because the sooner it is diagnosed and treated, the greater the chance of successful treatment. Please have your condition thoroughly checked out by a doctor to be sure. If it is UTI your doctor will evaluate the severity of your condition and promptly treat it with antibiotics because there is a risk of infection spreading to the kidneys.