Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My penis has been hurting. What is this? How did I get it? How do I get rid of it?"

ZocdocAnswersMy penis has been hurting. What is this? How did I get it? How do I get rid of it?


This has been happening for around a week and is especially painful when erect. It also is producing(not controlled at all by me) some sort of creamy substance a little at a time throughout the day(dries on my boxers). It occasionally hurts to urinate, but that mostly ended half a week ago, but my penis feels stretched- like there is a pain right toward the end of the shaft closest to the body. I haven't been overly masterbating, in fact, it's been much less than usual. The last sexual activity I had was over two weeks ago.


Pain in the penis, dysuria (pain during urination), and penile discharge are signs that suggest that there could be an infection. It is not normal for any of the above to occur. You are also sexually active which further suggests that a possible infection could be from a sexually transmitted disease (STD). You should make an appointment to see your primary care doctor. They can take a urine sample and test it for the common STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhea. They will also take some blood to check for other STD's such as HIV. People have varying ranges of symptoms when they are infected with an STD. Your partner may not always show signs of it but can still transmit it. Whenever you have sexual intercourse, you should always wear a condom; this includes oral sex. STD's can be bacteria or viral. Bacteria STD's such as the ones I mentioned above can be treated with antibiotics. Viral STD's such as herpes or HIV cannot be treated with antibiotics; however, they can be treated with medicines but cannot be cured. If you do have a STD, you should inform your partners so they can be tested and treated to prevent any further spread. Again, please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.