Will taking Maca affect my birth control?

I'm currently on birth control and want to take Maca supplements. I want to know if it will affect my birth control in anyway?
It is very important to discuss this question with your primary care doctor. Maca is an herbal supplement which is becoming increasingly popular and is taken for a wide range of symptoms, including chronic fatigue, low energy, and hormonal imbalance. Unfortunately, there is very little data about how maca may interact with other herbal supplements or prescription medications, such as oral contraceptives. In general we do know that oral contraceptives interact with a lot of different drugs and supplements. These interactions may increase the side effects and risks of the oral contraceptives (say, by increasing the risk of a blood clot in one of the veins in the legs). They also may decrease the effectiveness of the oral contraceptive, by increasing its metabolism in the body. Since so little is known about the potential interactions here, I would strongly recommend that you discuss this issue with your regular primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor prior to starting supplementation. They also may not have much additional information about the effect of maca, but they will definitely be able to advise you as to whether or not you should consider a different form of contraception or whether you might need more careful monitoring for any side effects. Call and make an appointment with your doctor today!