ZocdocAnswersAm I in labor?

Question

Am I in labor?

I went into preterm labor a week ago and came home 3 days later on Procardia. Now, a week later I am having cramping in my lower stomach a lot like period cramping and pain in my lower and middle back that feel like muscle cramps kind of. Could I be in labor again? And should I go to the hospital?

Answer

It is not always easy to determine whether or not labor is real, so you should not feel embarrassed if you go to the hospital and your symptoms turn out to be a false alarm. It is better to take every caution to ensure the safety of your unborn child. Any time you have signs of labor or pre-labor before 37 weeks' gestation, you should head to the hospital right away. You and your baby will be evaluated to determine the next steps. The cramps in your lower stomach and your back pain are very likely the signs that you are in labor and they are contractions. They usually cause discomfort or a dull ache in your back and lower abdomen, along with pressure in the pelvis. They usually start in the lower back and move to the front of the abdomen. They move up and down your back and come rapidly severe. These contractions feel like strong menstrual cramps that continue regardless your movement or changing position. When you are in active labor, a regular pattern of contractions get progressively stronger and closer together. They last 45 to 60 seconds and occur 3 to 4 minutes apart . You sound like you are in active labor. It is the time to call your OB/GYN and come into the hospital.