ZocdocAnswersWhy is my ear leaking out clear fluid and hurting?

Question

Why is my ear leaking out clear fluid and hurting?

I do have an infection in the right ear, but it didn't get all wet like this before (I do have ear drops for them but when I put it in it started hurting a lot). The pain just appeared today as well, And the back right side of my teeth is now aching.

Answer

So sorry to hear that you are suffering like this, and hope that we can help you to feel better fast. The best thing to do is to seek medical attention. Infection in the ear can be manifested in many different ways. In kids and those with intact ear drums, one of the first signs is pain. This pain is usually relieved to some degree when the ear drum ruptures due to too much pressure behind the drum, often due to infection or infected pus or fluid. After this happens, that fluid can then often drain out of the ear, manifesting itself as clear or pus like fluid. If you have drops already, it is possible that you are in the process of being treated, and I would advise you to continue treatment. There are other drops available that may be less painful, and you can discuss these with your doctor if you have questions about it. As for why your ear is draining this time when it never did before, that is hard to say but could have something to do with the health of your ear overall and its drainage specifically. The good news is that help is available. An ear-nose-and-throat surgeon visit, or otolaryngologist, would be my recommendation for your next step. Please speak to your doctor.