ZocdocAnswersWhy does my left ear feel full and like there is pressure in it when I swallow?

Question

Why does my left ear feel full and like there is pressure in it when I swallow?

almost like it needs to pop each time I swallow, should this be a cause for concern? I have anxiety, especially over my health so I do not think I am experiencing any other symptoms, I am just very nervous.

Answer

Sorry to hear about the popping in your ear. Having anxiety will almost certainly make any symptom worse, and so I'm sorry to hear that you have to suffer through that as well. Hopefully, we can allay some of your concerns and help you work to getting medically treated if needed. First, popping in the ear with swallowing can be common for many people at different times. For example, following a cold or other viral illness of the upper respiratory tract, it is common for the Eustachian tubes to narrow due to swelling of the mucosa. When this swelling happens, it reduces drainage from the ears, which can lead to excess fluid that will pop and sound funny in affected ears. There are many other possible reasons, as well, and you should be seen by a medical doctor to make sure there is nothing additional causing them. This will also usually work to help you feel more comfortable with the symptoms and not be overly worried with your anxiety. Please speak with your doctor about your questions. An otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon (aka ENT or ear nose and throat surgeon) may be a good person to visit.