ZocdocAnswersMy son is 19 years old and has been waking up with bloody nose for the last 2 days. Should I be worried?

Question

My son is 19 years old and has been waking up with bloody nose for the last 2 days. Should I be worried?

there pretty bad. alot of blood... he has had bloody nose when younger also.. but doctors never tested him for anything. do I need to worry?

Answer

So sorry to hear about this persistent problem, and hope that we will be able to help you come to some sort of answer. While nose bleeds are both extremely common and annoying, it can be difficult to know when you need to do something more about them. In general, you should speak with a doctor when there is any change, when something persists for longer than a reasonable amount of time, or when something is serious. Many people will have blood vessels that become damaged in the front or back of their nose. These are prone to bleeding, especially under dry conditions due to increased damage to the mucosa. While there are other causes as well, such as bleeding disorders or more serious conditions, these are certainly much less likely. These need to be evaluated when there is something changing, persistent, or serious, as above, or whenever you have questions. It is impossible for me to say if there is something serious causing these nosebleeds, but I would recommend that you speak with your doctor about your questions to determine if further testing or treatment is necessary to improve the symptoms. Please speak with your doctor about your questions.