ZocdocAnswersI suffered from retinal migraines daily for seven years. What could it be?

Question

I suffered from retinal migraines daily for seven years. What could it be?

In 2002 i had one of the headaches but i went blind in my right eye. the dr diagnosed me with ms.I had a few small white lesions on the MRI. It has been twelve years and I have no symptoms of ms. I have not had another retinal headache from the day I stopped taking birth control pills. Can the constant headaches i had cause the scarring on my brain and the blindness in my eye?

Answer

Thanks for the question that you have asked. It does appear to be a somewhat involved question, with multiple layers of possible explanations that will require more in depth understanding and information before a complete diagnosis can be provided. So it is important to speak with your doctor. First, MS is a chronic medical condition that is often expected to have a progressive course. In other words, most of the time it is expected that symptoms will become worse over time. If you have not had any progression in your symptoms since that time, then it is possible that there could be another explanation for your symptoms. That being said, it is not uncommon for people to have symptoms and then have a long period of symptom free existence that can be interrupted at any time with new symptoms. It is hard to say that headaches themselves would be the reason for scarring on your brain or persistent blindness, but more information would be very important to help you get a correct answer. Most often, a neurologist or even a neuro-ophthalmologist would be best able to help you explain your persistent symptoms and the fact that you remain blind in that eye. Please speak with your doctor.