ZocdocAnswersWhy do my ears feel clogged and have a ringing sound in them?

Question

Why do my ears feel clogged and have a ringing sound in them?

I used over the counter decongestants with no results.

Answer

Sorry to hear about this problem. Ringing in the ears, which is called tinnitus by doctors that treat the condition, is very common and can be quite annoying. Rarely, it can be a sign of something more serious that needs further evaluation, which is why I recommend discussing this with your doctor. The fact that you describe a clogged sensation suggests that there either may be fluid behind the ear or some sort of problem with the Eustachian tube itself. This is quite a common complaint, and there is much that can be done to help with the symptoms. Many people will have relief with over the counter medications, such as those you have already tried or others such as nasal decongestant sprays. These should always be used as directed by the manufacturer, as they can interact with other medications and are not appropriate for all people. There are other reasons that you could be having these complaints, however, and so I would suggest that you discuss them with your doctor. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon or ENT) is well situated to discuss your concerns with you due to their long training with regards to similar issues. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns.