"Is it normal for my lip, chin and tongue to feel numb days after surgery?"

I suspected some numbness the day of surgery, but after 48 hours the feeling in my face has not completely returned. This can't be normal?
You are, in general, right. Numbness in your face more than a day after surgery is not a usual finding for most surgeries. While this is a generality, it is important to speak with your doctor because there are a number of reasons that this numbness might be expected. For example, there are some anesthetics that will persist longer than others, and this may be exacerbated by medical conditions that you may have that would make them last longer. Other examples include minor nerve stretching that can happen so often in surgery and take a bit for the nerves to wake up. Depending on the surgery that was done and the reason for the surgery, there can be significant variation in all of this, which is why it is so important to speak with your surgeon about your concern. He or she may have provided you with some postoperative information that can speak to this question, but if not, do not hesitate to contact the office of your surgeon. He or she is quite used to this sort of question, and it is not only appropriate but expected that you will bring these concerns to his or her attention. Please speak with your surgeon.

Nearby Optometrists

Other Optometrists