ZocdocAnswersDo prescription eyeglasses block UV rays?

Question

Do prescription eyeglasses block UV rays?

I need a pair of glasses that will not only blocked the suns glare but also the UV rays. My eyes are extremely sensitive. Do I have options?

Answer

Yes, there are many options available for you that should be able to provide the protection that you are looking for. In general, if you will visit a reputable optometrist or ophthalmologist, he or she will be able to provide you with suggestions for finding the best glasses for you. While many glasses will provide some level of UV protection, it is important to check with your doctor's office before you make the purchase. The provider of the specific lenses will usually be able to answer that question in a satisfactory manner. UV rays are all around us, and can lead to long term changes that can damage skin and other body tissue. While often not considered, the eyes do require this same protection. Especially when using sun glasses, the time in which the eyes are more dilated due to the dimming effect of the glasses, it is important to have this extra UV protection. Fortunately, there are many options, all of which can be reviewed simply by discussing your concerns with the person who provides your prescription or in the office of a local optometrist or ophthalmologist. Please speak with your doctor or his or her office.