How do I get rid of the red dots all over my thighs?

they have been there for as long as i can remember and i never seem to be able to get rid of it. I've tried exfoliation, lotions, and simply just scratching them off but it always comes back. i rarely shave so i dont think it is irritated. it looks really ugly and i am always to self conscious to wear shorts. please help?
It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have a full history and physical as this is the only way to get a correct diagnosis and treatment. Your doctor may decide to send you to a dermatologist. However, from your description, it sounds like you might be suffering from keratosis pilaris, commonly known as KP. It is a very common condition that often runs in families. It is characterized by small raised red dots that feels rough when touched. It is usually found on the upper outer arms, thighs and/or buttocks. The condition is benign (not a cause for concern, other than it's appearance). The best way to treat it is with moisturizing creams containing urea. Cold, dry weather tends to make it worse so you may find it is less bothersome in the summer and worse in the winter. Other possible causes are an allergic rash, heat rash or dermatitis. Some general skin care tips to heed before your appointment include taking short, lukewarm showers and pat dry with a soft towel. Immediately apply a good quality moisturizer to your whole body with a focus on your thighs. Again, it is important to see your primary care doctor to get a correct diagnosis and treatment.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816