ZocdocAnswersHow can I help my mom and what treatment is recommended for High Platelet Count?

Question

How can I help my mom and what treatment is recommended for High Platelet Count?

My Mum is about 93 years old. She has gastric and is on Control Log 20mg daily. In mid-May 2013, she was diagonised to have Thrush on her tongue. The Doctor prescribed some fungal medication but did work. The condition improved from a thick layer of fungus on her tongue to sparingly after 2 weeks. However she had also pains in her stomach which was diagonised as wind. She was prescribed Forlax. Few days ago we did a blood tests at a hospital and her Haemoglobin reading was 10.3g/dL (normal 11.5-16.0). Her Platelet count was 735 10 to the power of 3/uL (Normal 150-450). I have been giving her nutritional from from Shaklee (VIVIX and Multivitamin/mineral) for many years. One of the specialist Doctor in Malaysia recommended her for CT Scan where she cannot stretch her back on a bed for 2 minutes too. Her back bone is bend. Please advise

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a hematologist for an opinion on this. In the vast majority of cases, a high platelet count such as what your mom has does not result in any major problems. This is why I would tend to just observe this platelet count and make sure that it does not go over a million (1000 x 3uL). Even if it did, I can't image that any doctor would recommend treatment given your mother's age and the likelihood that no treatment would be needed. The two main causes of high platelets is a reaction to an infection or illness and a condition called essential thrombocytosis (ET). Sometimes ET can also cause high red blood cell numbers, but as you provided in your question, this is not an issue with your mother. The doctor in Malaysia was likely recommending the CT scan to look at the spleen, which would be of almost no value unless there was a question of whether the spleen should be removed. In a 93 year old, this would not likely be something you or her would want. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a hematologist for an opinion on this. I think this visit will result in reassurance that this is not a major condition and that she should just be monitored going forward.