ZocdocAnswersWhat is this pain I feel in the left inguinal region?

Question

What is this pain I feel in the left inguinal region?

I have pain in the left inguinal region and a little pain towards the middle (above the penis). It only hurts when I touch it and the area is not bruised. Also, the tip of my penis is a bit pink/red and is extra sensitive. I'm going to go see a doctor on Friday but I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what I might have in advance.

Answer

You are describing pain in the left inguinal region. I recommend you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. There could be a number of different causes for your pain. The organs that are located there are your colon, bladder, and genitals. You could have an inguinal hernia which is an outpouching of your colon into a space called the inguinal canal. It is caused by weakened abdominal muscles. It can cause a lump in the inguinal region that can extend to your scrotum and is associated with pain. Another possibility is an infection of your colon called colitis; however, it should also be associated with changes in bowel habits such as diarrhea. A urinary tract infection (UTI) is also possible. It can occur anywhere from the urethra to the kidney. It can cause pain anywhere along the urinary tract from the tip of the penis to the bladder to the kidneys. UTI's are not normal in men because the urethra is long. Your symptoms could also be a swollen lymph node from an infection of the genitals. If you are sexually active, you should get tested for any sexually transmitted diseases. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have that area examined. You may need further tests depending on what your medical history and clinical exam show.