Do I have cancer?

I'm a 20 years old female and my father died of cancer when I was 9. Now I've had lower right abdominal pain for a whole year and this morning I went to poop and there was a jelly like red streak on the paper! I'm really scared that I may have cancer but my mother says that the red streak is because I eat tomato and apples every day. I went to the doctor because of the pain not so long ago and did a urine and stool test and they came out clean. She says that I have a lot of gas and that's why I keep having pain but I don't trust it since my father had cancer.
So sorry to hear about this concern. It is horribly sad to hear of your father passing away when you were so young, and it is certainly reasonable that you would also be concerned about the potential of also contracting a serious medical condition early in life. While there are many potential causes of the bleeding that you have noted, it is important to discuss this with your doctor. It is entirely appropriate for you to have close follow up with your doctor about your potential health problems, and if this is a new change, then this should be discussed with him or her. Now, the other side of the coin is that it is also important to not let these concerns dominate your life. If you visit with your doctor and you and he determine that all is well, it will be difficult to feel that you are well given the history of your father, but will be important for you to be able to lead a normal and high functioning life. Some people have a hard time with this, and your doctor should be able to help you by completing the testing that you need. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250