Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is a rash in my vagina?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is a rash in my vagina?


it came then it went then it came again then it went again for a long time and about 2 weeks ago what should i do


Since this problem keeps coming back, I think it is definitely time to make an appointment with a doctor -- either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor -- to get to the bottom of what might be going on. There are several different possible causes of your rash, but they all will require an examination by your doctor to be sure. One possibility would be a yeast infection, which commonly causes a red, itchy rash in the vaginal area. Yeast infections are often brought on after taking antibiotics for another condition, but they can also occur spontaneously, and they are usually easy to treat with antifungal medications. Another possibility would be vulvitis, or inflammation of the soft tissue around the vagina. This condition is usually caused by a reaction of the skin to a chemical exposure, such as a soap or lotion, and it can often be cleared up by eliminating these products, by using good skin hygiene, and by wearing breathable undergarments. Finally, it may be necessary to rule out sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes, which often causes painful, reddened blisters or ulcers in the vaginal area, which can come and go over time. Please call and make an appointment with your doctor today!

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.