ZocdocAnswersCan marijuana cause a false negative on a pregnancy test?

Question

Can marijuana cause a false negative on a pregnancy test?

I think I might be but I got a negative on a pregnancy test

Answer

There really isn't much that I know of that can cause a false negative pregnancy test. The only causes that I am aware of are improper use of the pregnancy test and an occasional faulty test, but your OB/GYN is the best person to discuss this with you. The second reason is that many kits come with two tests so that they can be repeated at separate times. The pregnancy tests today are very sensitive. If you have been pregnant for long enough (a week to 10 days), then these tests usually come back positive if you are pregnant. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. If you really think you are pregnant but have a negative pregnancy test, then it might not be a bad idea to get a test at your doctor's office. They might even choose to do the pregnancy blood test which can be even more accurate. In addition, it might be a good idea to get some pre-pregnancy counseling if you are trying to get pregnant. You might want to consider putting the marijuana aside if you are trying (or even if you aren't). If you are not trying to get pregnant, then you should talk to your doctor about using some form of contraception. Good luck.