Is it possible to have developed esophageal cancer since EGD in October 2012 ?

The EGD in October 2012 diagnosed LA Grade B espohogaitis and gastritis. About 2 months ago, I began having upper back pain that seem to refer to my chest and in the past month or so, I notice my swallowing more and feel a sensation in my upper-mid espohoagus with slight discomfort. Is it possible to have developed esophageal cancer (squamous or adenocarcinoma)? I drink pretty regulary on the weekends and have an occasional cigar.
Sorry to hear about your pain. As much as the pain are the concerns that go with it, which can lead to great mental anguish and significantly affect your ability to function. While it seems that you have recently had one of the best possible screening tools to look for a possible malignancy, there is always the possibility that something could have developed in the interim. It would be best to speak with your doctor, however, as this would usually be unusual for most patients. Your doctor would know more details about your health history and whether or not you are at higher risk than the average patient. Both alcohol and tobacco can lead to increased risk of cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract, and most doctors will advise using them in moderation, or even better, quitting, if you are worried about cancers of the head and neck. There are many other things that could be causing the symptoms that you describe, but you are correct in noting that they are not generally normal for the regular population. As these symptoms seem new, you should speak with your doctor about them to determine what the next step should be.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024