ZocdocAnswersIf someone got a chicken pox vaccine, can they get the shingles from someone who is infected?

Question

If someone got a chicken pox vaccine, can they get the shingles from someone who is infected?

My husband has what we believe are shingles and now I have it on my neck and ear..our daughters got the chicken pox vaccine buty we don't know if it is safe for them to come over

Answer

Sorry to hear about your recent problems. If you are truly suffering from shingles, there are things that can be taken to help to decrease your symptoms, and so it would be in your best interest to be seen by a doctor. Additionally, you may find out that you do not really have shingles, as this could be somewhat interesting for both you and your husband to have come down with shingles at the same time. So please speak with your doctor about your current symptoms. With regards to infecting other people, this is somewhat complicated. The goal of the shots is to prevent the varicella virus from spreading, and it is quite effective. There is some evidence, however, that some groups of people need a booster shot every so often for the vaccine to remain effective. Vaccines work by directing the body to prepare defenses against a recognized pathogen, but the body can occasionally down regulate the levels of defense over time with some vaccines. So the point is that it would depend on the age, time since vaccination, and other medical history of your family before one could answer this question definitively. Please speak with your doctor about this.