ZocdocAnswersIs it ok to kiss my girlfriend who has mono?

Question

Is it ok to kiss my girlfriend who has mono?

My girlfriend has mono and we've been hooking up for about a month before she found out. Now about two to three weeks laters shes gotten better and I still havent shown any symptoms. Should I still wait to kiss her or will it not make a difference?

Answer

This is a great question, and I hope that she recovers quickly. It is important to discuss this with you your doctor for more information. Infectious mononucleosis is quite a common condition, one that most of us are exposed to at some point in our life. For many people, the first exposure happens in the teenage years, as it is often encountered by exchanging saliva, and is thus called the kissing disease by some doctors. Many of the people who end up with infectious mononucleosis never even know that they have had it, and it not always normal for people to be diagnosed with having the condition. The reason that I say this is that there is a good chance that you have had mono already, and would thus likely not be susceptible to your girlfriend's infection. That's the good news. The bad news is that, to some degree, your girlfriend may be able to infect you for at least 6 months, and, according to some, longer. The virus stays in the body for the rest of life, although it is usually inactive after some time. Should it become activated, it could potentially infect others for the rest of her life, although this is less likely. And, furthermore, the condition can also potentially be spread through sexual contact. Please speak with your doctor for more information and help.