ZocdocAnswersWhy do I experience nausea during my period?

Question

Why do I experience nausea during my period?

I'm 16, 105lbs, and otherwise healthy. Every other month on the first day of menstruation, my upper abdominal muscles contract causing pain and I become nauseous to the point that I'll vomit immediately after taking a small sip of water. However, I never have any cramps in my pelvis during this time and I don't have any other menstrual problems.

Answer

Please schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN so that the two of you can discuss this concern. Feeling a bit ill during your period is not that uncommon. Many women do feel nauseated during their periods. This can be due to a number of reasons, but often has to do with the hormonal changes that occur during this time. The fact that you don't experience any cramping is a bit unusual, as the nauseated feeling that accompanies the menstrual cycle is usually also accompanied by painful cramps. When somebody approaches me with this problem my first step is to make sure that they are not pregnant as that can certainly be a cause of this nauseated feeling. After having a negative pregnancy test, I would then suggest that they try out a hormonal birth control such as the birth control pills. This can regulate your cycle and eliminate some of the symptoms that come along with the menstrual cycle. If this did not help or you continue to have symptoms, then I might consider a scheduled daily hormone just like birth-control but avoid the placebo pills making so you don't have a period. The other option, is to simply control your symptoms with anti-nausea medications when your symptoms are at their worst. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN so that the two of you can discuss this problem further.