ZocdocAnswersMy knee hurts a lot, what can I do?

Question

My knee hurts a lot, what can I do?

My knee is going to kill me. It hurts so bad 2 nights ago i went to skleep and yesterday i woke up so bad pain in my right knee it cracks i cant rin walk or bend? please tell me no surgery. im only 15

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. It is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without evaluating you in person. I strongly encourage you to arrange an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After a thorough history and physical exam, the surgeon can determine if you require an x-ray, MRI, or other test. There are multiple components of the knee joint, all of which could be causing pain. Sprain or rupture of one of the ligaments, such as the ACL or MCL, can cause pain. A torn meniscus, or cartilage lining of the joint, can cause pain. Issues with the quadriceps muscles can lead to pain. There are also several bursa, or fluid filled sacs, in the joint that can become enlarged and painful. Very rarely, you could develop an infection in the joint, which can be life threatening. Additionally, gout can cause knee pain. In this disorder, an abnormal buildup of uric acid can lead to crystals developing in the joint, which leads to a swollen, warm, and painful joint. This is extremely rare in someone your age. However, given the multitude of possibilities, I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon to determine the next best step in diagnosis.