ZocdocAnswersWas this a burst blood vessel, a blood clot or tendon injury?

Question

Was this a burst blood vessel, a blood clot or tendon injury?

Four days ago I stood up from sitting on the floor with legs crossed. Stood on left foot & felt a strange pop & burning feeling. Couple minutes later there was a small bruise with an approx pea size lump under skin. Ankle was tender to touch or to walk on. Now four days later I have pain/discomfort ranging from 3 - 7 on pain scale. The pain is in ankle (feels like it is pulling), two small toes tingling/numb, pain behind knee, outer thigh near hip, and posterior hip near buttocks. I am very worried about a blood clot. I do not have any swelling, or hot to touch. But have read that over half people have no symptoms. Is it just muscle pain? It is very tender around the ankle. The pea size lump was gone the first day. Was it a clot that is moving and this is reason for all of the other pain? How long does clot take to reach lungs? Saw dr and he thought it was possibly a minor tendon injury. But if so why all of the other symptoms now.

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. You may also require further testing. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss these concerns. Based on your description, you may have suffered a sprained ankle. In this injury, damage to a tendon or ligament occurs, which can often present as a "pop." It can take several days for the pain and swelling to resolve. Because of the swelling, nerves in this area can also be affected, which can lead to numbness and tingling. It is unclear how this could explain your buttock pain, and it is possible you also strained a muscle in this area. The lump may simply be due to inflammation and swelling of the damaged tendon or ligament. A blood clot, or deep vein thrombosis, developing from this would be rare but not impossible. These clots can remain in the leg indefinitely or can migrate to the lung vasculature rapidly. There is no set time frame for this to occur. You will need to discuss these concerns with a primary care doctor.