ZocdocAnswersCould i be bleeding internally in my wrist?

Question

Could i be bleeding internally in my wrist?

I had gotten mad and tried to punch something I ended up getting it with my wrist and palm the was a vein on my wrist that popped up it was really visible to see and it started bruising instantly(blue)...now it been about 3 hours since it happed and theres a little red with the blue bruise now it hurts when I move my hand back away from my wrist but when its just sitting still it doesnt

Answer

That is a great question and one that should be best answered by your primary care doctor or an emergency physician. From what you have described, it sounds like you had an injury to a blood vessel in your wrist which has caused some bleeding and bruising in your wrist and hand. If you do not have any issues with blood clotting and you are not losing function or sensation in your hand, then it is likely that the blood clot has stabilized and will slowly resorb in your wrist over time. On the other hand, if you start to develop weakness, numbness, or tingling in your hand or if the clot appears to be growing then you should be evaluated as soon as possible as this can become a medical emergency which requires urgent evaluation and possible treatment. You can consider applying pressure, applying a heat or ice pack to the area, and raising your hand up to get blood to flow back to the heart as means of decreasing the bruising and clot formation but again, if it gets worse, it is very important that you get evaluated as soon as possible by an emergency doctor.