search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is this pain above the knee only when I stand up?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this pain above the knee only when I stand up?

Question

I weight about 220 pounds and I suffer form excruciating pain, about one inch above my left knee cap whenever I stand up. When I am sitting down, I feel no pain at all. However, when I stand up, the pain instantly kicks in, like I said about one inch above the knee cap. I have no health insurance, so I am hoping this will go away.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your knee pain, and it sounds like it is significantly impacting your life. With any sort of joint pain, you will need to undergo a thorough review of your medical history as well as a detailed physical exam by a physician in order to determine the specific cause. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After a thorough, in-person evaluation, the specialist can determine whether you need any additional tests and make recommendations on the best course of action. The knee is a complex joint with multiple structures that can become injured. You may have suffered an injury to one of the bones in the joint, including the femur, tibial, fibula, or kneecap. It is also possible you have injured one of the ligaments that helps support the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. There are several fluid filled sacs, or bursa, that provide cushioning in the joint. These can become inflamed and lead to knee pain. Additionally, you may be suffering from tendonitis in the quadriceps tendon, which connects several of your thigh muscles to your patella. I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to determine the cause of your pain.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances