ZocdocAnswersWhat is this pain above the knee only when I stand up?

Question

What is this pain above the knee only when I stand up?

I weight about 220 pounds and I suffer form excruciating pain, about one inch above my left knee cap whenever I stand up. When I am sitting down, I feel no pain at all. However, when I stand up, the pain instantly kicks in, like I said about one inch above the knee cap. I have no health insurance, so I am hoping this will go away.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your knee pain, and it sounds like it is significantly impacting your life. With any sort of joint pain, you will need to undergo a thorough review of your medical history as well as a detailed physical exam by a physician in order to determine the specific cause. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After a thorough, in-person evaluation, the specialist can determine whether you need any additional tests and make recommendations on the best course of action. The knee is a complex joint with multiple structures that can become injured. You may have suffered an injury to one of the bones in the joint, including the femur, tibial, fibula, or kneecap. It is also possible you have injured one of the ligaments that helps support the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. There are several fluid filled sacs, or bursa, that provide cushioning in the joint. These can become inflamed and lead to knee pain. Additionally, you may be suffering from tendonitis in the quadriceps tendon, which connects several of your thigh muscles to your patella. I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to determine the cause of your pain.