Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it gastric rupture?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it gastric rupture?


Sept. 2011 severe abdominal pain (pins & needles, about 8 pain level). Felt ooze in abdomen and CT ran Dec. 2011 negative. May 2012 given Nexium with abnormal reaction and felt like liquid in abdomen. Shortly after felt very weak and about to become unconscious. Since have metabolized about 95% of tissue (down to bone) yet scale says 200 (was at 287 before this started). A gastroenterologist at Mayo asked if I was water soluble (his words) and I answered yes. He ran PET/CT to determine if it was missed the first time but that also negative. I have not changed diet or eating habits. Very concerned at this point due to severe weight loss without trying.


I agree with you that such severe unintended weight loss is very concerning, especially when it occurs over such a rapid period of time and is accompanied by other concerning symptoms, such as severe abdominal pain. That is why it's important to discuss this with your doctor. I can't give you a definitive answer about what may be wrong, as there are a number of conditions that can cause severe unintended weight loss. At the top of the list would be one of several types of cancer, including blood/lymph cancers like lymphoma as well as solid cancers in the gastrointestinal tract and elsewhere. Also high on the list would be an endocrine disease, in which the levels of one or more hormones in the body (such as thyroid hormone, or cortisol) are severely altered. Several inflammatory conditions of the intestines, such as Crohn's disease or celiac disease, can also cause weight loss. Finally, very common diseases like diabetes can cause profound weight loss over time if not treated. My suggestion for you at this point would be to circle back with one of the doctors who knows you best, which could be your primary care doctor, or your gastroenterologist. Together you will need to start fresh and decide what additional workup to do next.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.