Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What should I do to make my eye irritation disappear forever?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do to make my eye irritation disappear forever?


Well.. I'm a Kickboxer, almost 3 years ago I received a punch in my eye while training. The next day i went to a doctor complaining from an itchy feeling, blurry vision and continued tearing in my right eye and was diagnosed with an Ulcer in my sclera above my pupil. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and an anti irritation eye drops. The symptoms mentioned above got less and less each day, but for the past 2 years they keep returning 3 to 4 times each month, 99% of the times I feel them when I've just woken up. Doctors keep prescribing different irritation eye drops but the symptoms keep coming and going. Info about me: - I wear glasses - My vision in my right eye is weaker than the left - I stopped kickboxing for more than a year


As you know, the sclera is the white connective tissue covering that makes up most of the structures of the eye that you can see. On the front of the eye the sclera is covered with a transparent structure called the conjunctiva. Most of the time when the eye is injured (say while kickboxing) it is just this superficial structure, the conjunctiva) that is irritated or injured. Injury or ulceration of the sclera underneath is much less common. Regardless, the first step would be to return to see an eye doctor to have the problem formally diagnosed. It is possible that your current eye irritation is unrelated to the prior problem, since irritation of the conjunctiva in particular is caused by all sorts of common allergies, weather conditions, etc. On the other hand, if your eye doctor determines that you do indeed have inflammation or ulceration of the sclera (scleritis) then that would require more intensive workup. I say this because many cases of scleritis are associated with an underlying systemic disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, and treating the scleritis also requires diagnosing and treating the underlying condition. Call and set up a visit with your eye doctor at your earliest convenience.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.