Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have an irritation in the opening of my vagina, is it yeast infection?"

ZocdocAnswersI have an irritation in the opening of my vagina, is it yeast infection?


hi, i am a 24 year old woman. last week i began to get an irriration in the opening of my vagina and it got red and a couple days later white clumpy substance was forming. not a lot of discharge but it was there. i bought over the counter 3 day treatment for yeast infection and took the first last night. i woke up with cold like symtoms. a bit of runny nose and voice starting to go away. pleaseeeee help!!!!


Thank you for your question regarding your vaginal symptoms. I would encourage you to visit your doctor who can perform a thorough physical examination and ask you more detailed questions about your medical history. There are many possibilities for the source of your vaginal discomfort. Yeast infections are common in women. They are caused by a fungus and can cause burning, itching, irritation, and sometimes a whitish discharge. Yeast infections are easily treated with anti-fungal medications which you can place inside the vagina itself or with an oral medication taken once. Trichomonas is another infection that can present itself much the same way. Trichomonas is a sexually transmitted parasite infection that can cause green-yellow discharge that has a strong smell and can be associated with burning, itchiness, pain with urination and intercourse. When a gynecologist perform a pelvic exam, he or she may also be able to see small red spots inside the vagina or on the cervix. It is important to visit your doctor, to determine if this is a simple yeast infection or a possible STD which would require treatment for yourself and your sexual partner. Please visit your doctor who can perform the necessary testing to appropriately diagnose you.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.