ZocdocAnswersI found a mass above breast, under collar bone. What could it be?

Question

I found a mass above breast, under collar bone. What could it be?

when first found, it was not sore or tender. Day after it was (from touching??) It is about 2 inches above breast and begins almost in center of chest, moving out to left. Oblong. I don't think it feels "movable"

Answer

Anytime you develop any mass or lump in or around your breast, you should get it checked out by a physician. This is because you don't want to miss a small tumor of the breast that could become something more dangerous in the future. There is no telling what this is without further investigation. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The first step will be for your doctor to perform a physical exam on both of your breasts to determine if he or she concurs that there is lump presents. If there is one, then you might go on to have a mammogram or a breast MRI, depending on your age (younger women might need a breast MRI over a mammogram). You might also need to have an ultrasound of the mass with a potential ultrasound guided biopsy if the lesion is seen to be suspicious on the MRI or the mammogram. The biopsy itself, if necessary, would give you and your doctors the final word on what this mass is and what to do with it. While not typically recommended, you and your doctor could discuss how to perform self breast exams. These are controversial (as they do not always help find cancer), but might be helpful in certain situations.