ZocdocAnswersWhat are these movable lumps on collar bone?

Question

What are these movable lumps on collar bone?

I have noticed 6 or more lumps along the left and right sides of my collar bone. They are under the skin, movable, and a little tender to touch, but i also keep touching them. They are also kind on longer, but I cant tell if they are round. Any idea what this is?

Answer

This is an interesting question, and I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor who can examine these lumps more carefully. There are many possible explanations for these lumps, and the key is to make sure that you don't miss something serious. Your doctor will be able to ask your history and determine what the next step should be. One of the common things that can cause some of these lumps underneath the skin are lymph nodes, which are especially prominent in people with thin necks and those recovering from infections. The lymph nodes are part of the body's defense system, and swell with infections and thus become more prominent. Another common cause of lumps under the skin is fatty collections that can grow slowly over time. These will be quite squishy, and are called lipomas. Additionally, there are many other things that can become prominent. Obviously, in an adult, the concern has to be that this could represent something potentially serious, and so you should follow this up with your doctor. Depending on your history and a physical examination, your doctor may order additional tests to determine what more is needed. Please speak with your doctor.