ZocdocAnswersI have an uncomfortable pain in my back. What could it be?

Question

I have an uncomfortable pain in my back. What could it be?

uncomfortable pain in left side, more to the back and in the middle of my back, it can get uncomfortable when lying in a certain position for too long. Top of my stomach under my rob cage can also be uncomfortable at times.

Answer

There are many possibilities for what could be causing these symptoms. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor finds he or she may order further tests such as blood work or imaging such as xrays. Pain in your back can be as simple as a pulled muscle or a more serious problem with your spine such as a slipped disc. Pain in your back can also be a sign of something serious such as a kidney infection or a problem with your pancreas. The pain under your rib cage also could have many causes, perhaps related to your back or it could be completely unrelated. Again, it could be a pulled muscle or possibly gas pain. Also if the pain is on the right side under your ribs it could be an indication that it is coming from your gallbladder, possibly gallstones or an infection. Although your symptoms sound mild, unfortunately they could indicate that something more serious is going on which is why it is very important for you to schedule an appointment with your doctor right away.