ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned about pressure in my ears when falling asleep and not being able to move?

Question

Should I be concerned about pressure in my ears when falling asleep and not being able to move?

Sometimes during the day I feel exhausted so I try to take a nap. In most cases I don't feel like I actually fall asleep all the way, and my earlobes feel like they're throbbing. But in order to move at all I have to basically gear myself up to do something as simple as rolling over.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. This is a question that requires more information before I can answer this fully so I suggest you speak with your doctor. From what you have described, it seems that most of your question centers around the intermittent throbbing in your ears rather than some of the other symptoms such as fatigue and inability to get yourself active and doing things. If that is the case, it is important to know if there are other symptoms as well, either systemic (such as fevers, chills, night sweats, etc) or other problems that are more localized to the ears (ringing in the ears, ear pain, hearing loss, dizziness, etc). These additional factors will tend to be very important when it comes to helping your doctor know if there is something serious that needs to be treated or if this is a condition that can be watched until it either resolves or shows itself to be something more serious. As an isolated complaint, it is hard to know if there is anything more serious, and so I would recommend that you should speak with your doctor to relay additional information and have a physical exam. Please speak with your doctor.