ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause pain or discomfort in scrotum?

Question

What can cause pain or discomfort in scrotum?

It has been going on for about a week. I drink plenty of water, and I am taking multivitamin and the product, Hydroxycut. The testicles are not swollen and everything seems to be operating normally. Sometimes the discomfort moves up to pain. It comes and goes, so not a consistent bother.

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Persistent pain in the testicles or scrotum should be evaluated, as there are several conditions which are possible and which require treatment. One possibility, for example, is a sexually transmitted infection, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. Symptoms which might go along with these possibilities include discharge from the penis or pain with urination. Both conditions can be easily diagnosed with a simple urine test, and can be treated with antibiotics. Another condition which is possibility is epididymitis, which is an inflammation of the tube which carries sperm from the testicles towards the urethra. This condition can sometimes be caused by an infection (including a sexually transmitted infection like those I mentioned above), but it is also often not infectious. Pain medications and ice are helpful, as are antibiotics for the infectious cases. If you develop severe pain in the scrotum or one of the testicles, you should not wait to see your doctor but should instead go right away to the emergency room for an evaluation, as sudden severe pain in the testicles could be a sign of a testicular torsion, when blood flow to the testicle is cut off. This requires immediate treatment.