ZocdocAnswersWhy are my breasts so sore two days before expected ovulation?

Question

Why are my breasts so sore two days before expected ovulation?

Now that I've ovulated they're even more sore. I've had unprotected sex everyday.

Answer

This sensation you are having may be a normal reaction many woman experience near the middle of their cycle, however it is always a good idea to discuss your concerns with your primary care physician. Towards the middle of your cycle, the body increases its release of certain hormones known as gonadotropins from the brain that increase estrogen released from the ovaries. Estrogen causes the breasts to change in anticipation of potential he getting pregnant. This may be why you have that sensation just before ovulation. If you're having unprotected sex every day and it appears as if you're ovulating the chances of you becoming pregnant are very high. If this is desired then great, I should say congratulations. But if this is not desired then you should consider some form of hormonal birth control. Hormonal birth control will prevent you from ovulating mid-month. This means that your ovaries will not release that high amount of estrogen and you will not have the mid-month breast soreness. Thus, if you are not currently trying to get pregnant, then I would suggest you consider going on some form of birth control. For this, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review the options for hormonal birth control. There are quite a few very good options for you to choose from.