Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a redish pearly 3mm growth on the base of my shaft, how can I clear it up?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a redish pearly 3mm growth on the base of my shaft, how can I clear it up?


It's been there for a few months and can lap pear to be pinkish and waxy.


I would recommend going to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. There are several potential causes for this growth, but it is not possible to make a diagnosis over the internet - physical examination by your doctor is needed! One potential cause would be a genital wart, caused by infection of the skin by the human papilloma virus. This virus is very common, and typically causes painless, fleshy growths that can appear anywhere on the shaft of the penis or on the surrounding pubic area. Genital warts are easy to diagnose, and there are a number of treatments to remove them, including freezing them in your doctor's office. It is also possible that this represents a patch of skin inflammation, from a condition such as eczema or psoriasis. This is especially the case of you have other patches on other parts of the body. Many of these inflammatory conditions can be cleared up with topical steroids, administered under the direction of your doctor. Rarely, growths like this can represent skin cancer, just as they could on any other part of the body. If your doctor suspects a skin cancer, then they will want to perform a biopsy to rule this out. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.