ZocdocAnswersI've been having issues of sleeping for the pass couple of years, what can I do?

Question

I've been having issues of sleeping for the pass couple of years, what can I do?

Please hel

Answer

This is a very important question as the quality and quantity of sleep can have a large impact on your overall health. It is very important for you to make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers, he or she may send you for a sleep study for further evaluation. Sleep issues are very common and can range from insomnia (difficulty falling or staying asleep), sleep apnea (characterized by episodes where you stop breathing), to parasomnias such as sleep walking. Your doctor will likely review the concept of "sleep hygiene" with you which are things you can do to improve your sleep. These can include having a consistent sleep schedule, reducing stimulation 2 hours before bed, only using your bed for sleep (no TV in the bedroom!), reducing caffeine intake and keeping the room cool and dark. If your doctor feels your symptoms are due to insomnia there are different medications that can be helpful if you have exhausted behavioral techniques. Anxiety and depression often contribute to insomnia so your doctor will likely screen you for this conditions. Again, it is very important for you to have your sleeping issues evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible.