Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Why does my right ankle hurt?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my right ankle hurt?


right ankle will hurt and pain starts to go up my leg to my thingh on the front and back. What could be wrong and what kind of doctor should I see?


That is an excellent question. Based upon the small amount of history given, it would appear that the best physician to evaluate you would be a primary care doctor who will be best able to take a full physical and history related to why your right ankle would hurt. Information about your age, sex, and daily activity level is not given and so the first thing I would be interested to know is whether you are young or old, as if you are old, it is not uncommon to develop arthritis in our joints which is just normal wear and tear as we get older. If you are young, and very active, then it is possible that you may have injured it during high intensity activity. If that is the case, it may require rest, ice, compression and elevation to improve the pain and decrease any swelling. On the other hand, there are several other causes of ankle pain that are beyond the scope of this discussion, as such, it is best that you discuss this with your primary care doctor, as he or she can decide whether further work up is required, such as imaging studies or blood work and perhaps refer you to a specialist such as an orthopedist.

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.