ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to be bleeding for 15 days?

Question

Is it normal to be bleeding for 15 days?

Hi i am 21 years old and i am on day 15 of my period. I have a light flow with a few blood clots. I am very concerned and havent had sex in almost a month now and i'm not on birth controls plz help.

Answer

Bleeding excessively is abnormal and not good for the health and I recommend discussing this with a primary care physician or OB/GYN. What you have may be a condition called menorrhagia, which refers to menstrual bleeding that lasts more than 7 days. Did you take any medications during menstruation, such as blood thinners (i.e., aspirins)? In some cases, a pregnancy that is lost very early on can be the cause of bleeding in this length. If not, there are numerous causes of such heavy bleeding that can be a serious medical condition. For instance, menorrhagia may be a symptom of a blood clotting order, endometriosis, cervical cancer, uterine fibroids or polyps, pelvic inflammatory disease or polycystic ovary syndrome, etc. If this is your first experience with this excessive bleeding problem and is not going to be part of a regular pattern, it is probably due to a temporary hormone imbalance, which eventually corrects itself. However, recurrent menorrhagia needs medical attention. In short, there are numerous underlying causes of menorrhagia that may or may not lead to a serious medical condition. A visit with a primary care physician or OB/GYN for a confirmed diagnosis and to treat this prolonged bleeding and get it under control to prevent you from developing anemia is highly recommended.