ZocdocAnswersIs abnormal bleeding normal if trying to get pregnant?

Question

Is abnormal bleeding normal if trying to get pregnant?

Iam 21 years old and i have been trying to get pregnant for about more than a year. Today is my 9th day of my period and im still bleeding. My fist day was just a brownish discharge and the next day i started bleeding and from now untile then i have been bleeding lightly not heavily.

Answer

It is hard to answer your question definitively without more details so I recommend that you see your regular primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor. Periods can vary somewhat in length and amount of bleeding, and 9 days, while long, could still fall within the range of normal variation. This would depend a lot on what your personal patterns are like. For example, if you tell me that your periods are always only 2-3 days long, then 9 days is clearly abnormal. However, if your periods are 6-7 days long, then 9 days might just be a minor fluctuation. In someone who is trying to get pregnant, abnormal bleeding can also be a sign of pregnancy, although usually this amount of bleeding would indicate an abnormal pregnancy, either an ectopic pregnancy (when the pregnancy is located outside of the uterus) or a pregnancy that is in the process of being miscarried. I would suggest going to see your regular primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor about this issue, especially if the bleeding persists or if you develop other symptoms such as abdominal pain. Your doctor will be able to perform an examination and, potentially, some basic laboratory tests such as a pregnancy test to you help figure out what might be going on. Good luck!