ZocdocAnswers Can having a cold cause joint pains?

Question

Can having a cold cause joint pains?

7yr son had sore throat yesterday, but its gone today, but he has pains in his joints , does this happen when u have a cold?

Answer

Sorry to hear about the aches and pains following a sore throat. The best answer to your question is, sometimes, which is why I advise that you speak with your doctor. Certainly there are viral infections (and even some bacterial infections) that can lead to soreness and tenderness throughout the body. Anyone that has had the flu can relate to the fact that your entire body is sore and tender, and you just want to lie completely still to avoid causing any pain or movement. This is in part due to the body's reaction to fighting infection, as it takes so much energy to mount a full defense. Additionally, there are many hormones and other molecules that are released that seem to sensitize the body, in addition to helping to fight infection. You may notice that lymph nodes are swollen during times of infection, perhaps concentrating in the area where the infection began, but not always. In short, having some sore joints after a cold can be a variant of normal. That being said, it is important to realize that sometimes this soreness can be a sign of something else that is going on. There are conditions where prompt medical attention is necessary, and so I would advise you to speak with your doctor.