ZocdocAnswersIs my nose broken?

Question

Is my nose broken?

I was being pulled on a skateboard and my friend went to fast i lost control and slid on my face on the ground but it wasn't bleeding

Answer

Sorry to hear about your current problem. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know if your nose is broken without seeing you and asking a few more questions, which is why it is important to see a doctor. Occasionally, there may be some value in obtaining an x-ray or other imaging as well, although this is not routinely necessary. In general, the most important questions to ask following nose trauma are about function and about cosmetics. First, does your nose work right? That is, are you able to breathe through your nose without difficulty, the same as you were able to before surgery? Is it still bleeding? Is there anything else wrong with the way it works? Second, does it look different? It is normal for it to be more swollen, but does it also appear broader, skewed to one side or the other, or have other bumps that were not there before? Those are the questions that your doctor will ask to determine what the next step is. You should speak with a doctor soon, as there is a window of time to repair this before more aggressive surgery is required. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT or otolaryngologist) may be the best place to start. Please speak with your doctor.