ZocdocAnswersCan outside factors such as stress really cause nausea, headaches and weight gain?

Question

Can outside factors such as stress really cause nausea, headaches and weight gain?

I have four boys, tubes tied with fallope rings dec of 09. Boyfriend and i dont use protection. I dont feel stressed about anything but stress is a silent one sometimes. Periods are regular. Last four cycles were 28, 27 than 24 and 24 days. Due on the 24th. We had sex four times during my supposed ovulation. I know for sure because since jan. I get ovulation pains. This month i had those pains twice. The 5th and the 9th. For over a week now, i have had soar boobs everyday, nauseous, headaches. I recently lost 25lbs. I weighed myself and have gained back 6 without any change in diet. I tested, but negative but also to early. Ive heard of a lot of woman having babies after tubals, but whats my chance? Or could stress really cause all this?

Answer

This is an important question to discuss with your primary care doctor. In regards to your question about pregnancy after tubal ligation, it is definitely possible, as you continue to produce an egg, and if you and your partner do not use protection, the sperm and egg can still meet and the egg will become fertilized. There are many different types of tubal ligations - sometimes the tubes are cut apart and sewn shut or sometimes a small coil is placed and the tubes scar down so that there is no longer a passage. Both of these methods have failure rates. That is, after both of these you may still become pregnant, though the risk is very small. That being said, emotional, physical, and social stress can absolutely cause nausea, headaches, and weight gain. The impact of our mental well-being on our body is tremendous! My recommendation to you would be to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. You can have a more precise pregnancy test that could re-assure you that you are not pregnant. Also, the doctor should check you out to make sure that the other symptoms you are having that may be related to stress aren't related to something else that is going on. Finally, I would recommend that you consider using protection with your boyfriend, as without condoms you can't protect against sexually transmitted infections.