Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have genital wart?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have genital wart?


i have two red bumps one is on the left and the right they stand stand out and are rough


You need to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist to have your condition diagnosed. There are many medical conditions with similar signs and symptoms that it is not possible to determine the exact nature of your bumps without a physical exam and follow-up tests if warranted. However, I am happy to provide you information about genital warts. Genital warts are soft growths on the skin and mucus membranes of the genitals. They are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), and are easily transmitted by sexual contact. They can appear on the genitals, in the pubic area or in the anal canal. They can also occur on the lips, mouth, tongue or throat of a person who has had oral sex with an infected person. In women they can also grow in the vagina and cervix. Genital warts are usually asymptomatic, but depending on the size and anatomic location, they can be painful and itching. Other symptoms are rare, but can include increased vaginal discharge and vaginal bleeding during or after intercourse. Genital warts look like small, flesh-colored, pink, or red bumps or grey swellings. They can also appear close together to have a cauliflower-like shape. Often, they may be so small and difficult to see. Please schedule a visit with your doctor to get a physical exam and a Pap smear (if you are a female) and treated, if necessary. Since there is no way to predict whether the genital warts will grow or disappear, they must be treated by doctor to prevent complications and spreading the condition to others. Treatment may include a skin treatment done in the doctor's office, prescription medicines or removal by surgery if the warts are large or difficult to treat.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.