ZocdocAnswersI have a problem with moving my big toe up, what should I do?

Question

I have a problem with moving my big toe up, what should I do?

It doesnt hurt and its been like this for a week nd a half

Answer

I'd recommend having your regular doctor take a look at this at your earliest convenience. In the absence of any other symptoms, such as pain or swelling, it is hard for me to speculate about what might be going on. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to let them know about any other symptoms, such as numbness or tingling, or weakness in other body parts, as this will be very helpful for narrowing down the cause. Also, make sure to let them know about any sports injuries or any other traumas as, again, this will be very important information. The first thing your doctor will want to do is examine the toe, foot, ankle, and perhaps more generally the musculoskeletal system for any evidence of arthritis, joint swelling, or pain, that might be present on examination but that you might not have noticed on your own. If these symptoms are not present, then they will want to move on looking for any evidence of a nerve problem that could be causing the trouble with movement. Specifically, they'll look for diminished sensation as well as for objective weakness in the various muscle groups of the foot, ankle, and leg.