ZocdocAnswersWill urinating large volumes at night cause calcium wasting?

Question

Will urinating large volumes at night cause calcium wasting?

I urinate about 50oz from 12mn to 5am, but hardly at all during the day. Is that bad? Is that enough to cause calcium wasting or calcium washing out? Thanks

Answer

50 ounces is a very significant amount of urine that you are making. Not only is this a high amount, but the fact that you are making it all between midnight and 5 AM is unusual and probably should be looked into. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. The first question I would have for you is what kind of liquids you are consuming in the evening. Consuming caffeinated beverages in the evening especially high-volume could result in increased urination at night. The other possibility is that you might have a heart condition. Patients with heart failure tend to urinate more at night because there is increased blood flow to the kidneys during that time. I cannot think of a reason why increased urination at night would cause calcium wasting. The two are simply just not related. Excess calcium wasting can occur in certain conditions such as hyperparathyroidism. However this condition is not associated with increased urination at night. I would start by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. You need to have some urine tests and an overall look at your health to understand why you are experiencing this significant nocturnal urination. If you are concerned about your calcium, your doctor should order blood work to verify that your calcium levels are normal.