ZocdocAnswersHow can I reduce swelling after a rhinoplasty?

Question

How can I reduce swelling after a rhinoplasty?

I'm not sure if a cold or heat compress will work. Any suggestions? The swelling is not severe, just annoying?

Answer

The best thing to do is to speak with your surgeon or his or her office. Rhinoplasty is a very common procedure, with generally excellent results when completed by a competent surgeon. That being said, it is also a very difficult surgery, and even the best surgeons will have patients who are ultimately unsatisfied. One of the most difficult things after the procedure is the fact that your nose is on display to the world and it may feel obvious to you that all around you know that you have had a procedure. In general, it is not as obvious as it may feel to you. That being said, there are some simple things that you can do after a rhinoplasty to help the swelling resolve. The first is to maintain good hydration and watch your salt intake. Next, getting adequate sleep is vital to helping your skin, but do make sure to keep your face elevated. Other steps include cold compresses, as warm compresses may actually increase the blood flow to your face. Finally, leaving the dressings alone on your face is vital, as these serve to reduce swelling due to their pressure. Ultimately, if you have questions about your recovery following any surgery, please speak with your surgeon.